Tonight turned out to be a quinoa fest and why not? Quinoa is high in protein, iron and fibre and is gluten free.
For all recipes involving quinoa, even the most unimaginable ones – quinoa milkshakes anyone? – one should subscribe to Simply Quinoa (www.simplyquinoa.com). As I browsed through her website, two recipes caught my eyes. Why? Because they looked so easy and totally delicious. Being a Monday night and after an evening crossfit session, the last thing I want to do is spend a considerable amount of time in the kitchen (though I did as I tried to multitask cooking for the furry babies and also making a fudge for tomorrow’s work do. Eeek.)
Sweet potato salmon cakes/patties sounded divine. I had to make these as I just knew sweet potatoes and salmon were a match made in heaven as they are two of my most favourite foods ever! And heck did they not disappoint. The sweetness of the potatoes combined with the salmon and fresh herbs tasted just amazing! You would be forgiven to forget that there was actually quinoa in these babies! Delish.
Sweet Potato Salmon Cakes
- 1/2 cup cooked quinoa (I used white quinoa for this recipe but red would add a nice color)
- 1 medium sweet potato, boiled and mashed
- 2 can wild salmon (skinless and boneless if possible)
- 2 large eggs
- 4 leaves of spring onions, chopped
- 1 small bunch of mint, chopped
- 1 small bunch of coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tapioca flour
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Spray oil for cooking
1. Preheat oven at 180 degrees Celsius.
2. Add all the ingredients in a large mixing bowl and mix with a wooden spoon (or your hands!) until everything is combined and a dough has formed.
3. Form the dough into 6 patties or more depending on what size you are going for, place on a plate and set aside.
4. Heat the oil in a 10″ skillet over medium heat. Saute the salmon cakes for 3 – 5 minutes per side, until browned, crispy and heated through.
5. Put in the oven for ten minutes and flip on the other side for another ten minutes.
5. Serve warm.
Adapted from: http://www.simplyquinoa.com/sweet-potato-salmon-cakes/